“In order that a grateful Nation might pay appropriate homage to the veterans of all its wars who have contributed so much to the preservation of this Nation, the Congress, by an act approved June 1, 1954 (68 Stat. 168), changed the name of the holiday to Veterans Day.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower
The Park Slope Armory – 10 Facts You May Not Know:
- It was once said ghosts from the Spanish American War left footprints on the Armory’s freshly painted ceiling and walls in the 1950s.
- The Armory goes down two more stories, including a shooting range, horse stables, and a bowling alley.
- There used to be a tunnel from the Armory to the middle of Prospect Park. The tunnel door is still there but much of the tunnel collapsed with the construction of the subway and residential expansion throughout the Slope.
- Tanks can be kept where the downstairs bleachers are now.
- The Brooklyn Dodgers used to practice in the armory, 1955 – 1956.
- The Armory used to house movie sets for films such as Meet Joe Black and Raging Bull.
- The Thanksgiving Day Parade balloons were stored in the Armory.
- In the 1950s the basketball team games between New York’s colleges (NYU, St. John’s, Fordham) were played at the Armory.
- In the 50s they had a roller skating rink in the armory.
- Frank Sinatra once filmed a scene for one of his movies up 9th street then down to the outside Armory.